No one needs to tell you that getting a good night’s sleep is crucial when it comes to performing your best, whether that means at work, at school, in the gym, or in sports. What you may not realize is that sleep also plays a vital role in both fat loss and lean body weight. You need good rest to be your best.
How much sleep you need depends on many factors, but the younger you are, the more sleep you need. As you age, you tend to need less sleep, but that can also be affected by your activity levels. The key is to get enough sleep that you feel well rested the next day.
How Does Sleep Affect Body Composition?
If you’ve been exercising for any amount of time, you’re already aware that you need enough rest to be your best when it’s time to exercise, and you’ve probably noticed that positive changes to your body happen more slowly when you don’t get enough sleep. You may have even noticed that you stay sore longer without enough rest.
Even though you’re just lying there, a lot happens when you sleep. Whether you’re trying to lose weight, gain lean muscle, or simply recharge your energy stores, you need rest to be your best.
Positive Effects of Sleep on Body Composition
- You can’t snack while you’re sleeping, so you’re essentially fasting through the night.
- Your body is able to burn more calories during the day when you’re rested because energy levels are higher.
- You have better judgment when you’re well rested, so you’re less likely to make bad decisions when you go out to eat or go grocery shopping, and your inhibitions aren’t lowered, so you’re less likely to overeat.
- Your body repairs damaged tissue while you sleep, and that means you build muscle and allow full recovery of joints and connective tissue.
- Since you build muscle while sleeping, you’re able to burn more calories during the day as a result — even when you’re doing nothing. Every extra pound of muscle burns approximately 50 more calories at rest.
- Your body releases growth hormone while sleeping, so you get muscle and joint recovery plus fat-burning benefits.
- If you don’t get enough sleep, your testosterone levels can decrease up to 40%. That’s not good!
- Sleep deprivation can have negative effects on thyroid hormone levels, which can have noticeable negative effects on your body composition.
- Enough sleep every night helps bolster your immune system, so you’re less likely to get ill. You can’t exercise when you’re sick!
There are countless reasons you need to get enough sleep every night, but if you’re fighting the battle of the bulge, make sure you get enough rest to be your best.
Note: A balanced diet is obviously crucial to peak performance during the day, but proper nutrition also helps you manage stress and get good rest, so consider keeping RawFusion Bars with you to avoid eating out, or plan on having a shaker bottle of RawFusion Complete ready for a full, liquid meal on the go.