Sometimes the greatest health innovations aren’t innovations at all. The health benefits of baobab fruit have been utilized for ages by native cultures in Africa, Madagascar, and Australia, but the rest of the world has only just begun to enjoy the many health benefits of baobab fruit within the last decade.
The hard-shelled baobab fruit is fairly large and heavy at about 7-inches long and three pounds. The fruit grows on the Adansonia Digitata tree, known in native regions as the “Tree of Life,” which can grow to approximately 98 feet high and 36 feet wide. The baobab tree can hold up to 120,000 liters (31,700 gallons) of water, accounting for much of its density and size.
So, it’s big and heavy, and it comes from a giant, water-filled tree, but what are the health benefits of the baobab fruit itself? We’re glad you asked!
Baobab Health Benefits
- Currently rated with the highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) score of all superfoods at 1,400
- High in antioxidants that bolster immune system health
- Supports nervous system health
- Promotes electrolyte balance and hydration
- Provides a natural energy source
- Prebiotic effects for good digestive health (which also positively affects immune system health)
- High in important nutrients like vitamins A, B6, and C, riboflavin, calcium magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, phytosterols, and carbohydrates along with both soluble and insoluble fiber
The high fiber and prebiotic elements of the baobab fruit have made it popular with native populations in Africa, where it’s long been used to relieve gastrointestinal issues like constipation and diarrhea. The full benefits are even more expansive than just digestive health, and the agreeable taste makes it perfect to be mixed in supplements like RawFusion Complete.
This nutrient-dense superfood is growing in popularity and is further proof that the most powerful health-promoting ingredients in the world are found in nature, not in a lab.